How Do I Know if My Car Accident Was Caused By Drowsy Driving?
It can feel like the accident came out of nowhere, with you facing serious injuries as a result of someone else’s negligence. Since you are experiencing the post-accident whirlwind, it is unlikely that you know whether the accident was caused by someone’s distracted behavior, drowsiness, or other factors. Here are a few tips that can tip you off that the accident was caused by the other driving being too tired.
According to research, one in every 25 adult drivers admits to falling asleep behind the wheel during any given month. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration backs that up with claims that drowsy driving contributed to over 72,000 accidents.
Here are a few clues that the driver fell asleep prior to the accident:
- He or she drifted out of his/her lane right before the crash
- The accident happened after a driver missed a turn or an exit
- The driver hit a rumble strip on the side of the road or in between lanes
- The driver struggles to recall what happened in the immediate moments before a crash
- Interactions with the driver after the accident reveal that he or she is yawning or blinking more than normal
You might not be able to get a clear admission out of the other driver about whether or not the accident was caused by him/her falling asleep at the wheel, but this is why you need a committed Milwaukee personal injury attorney who can do all the necessary research to determine the most important factors in your crash. If another person’s negligence, including falling asleep at the wheel, is the cause of your serious injuries, you may want to consider filing a personal injury claim as soon as possible. You should not be held responsible for the negligence of another driver, and it behooves you to act swiftly in this situation by contacting a car accident attorney to get the representation you deserve.